PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new falcon and raptor hunting forum

spectr17
06-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the new falcon and raptor hunting forum http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley-wave-hello-yellow.gif

Please tell us a little about yourself and how you got into using falcons or raptors to hunt with.

swomprat
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
NEW TO FORUM,GREAT INFO.THIS SUBJECT TOUCHES THE HEART.TIME RESTRAINTS PREVENT ME FROM PARTICIPATING IN SPORT BUT WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM MASTERS OR APRINTICES.

Cetrero
06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi It doesn&#39;t look like anyone&#39;s posted this forum for a while, But I&#39;m going to try!

I&#39;ve been a falconer for 6 years. I am a general class falconer. Time restraints, job, family-my daughter going to college, don&#39;t allow me to be the kind of falconer I&#39;d like to be.....Frustrating!...But I keep my hand in it.
I will be able to take an early retirement in a few years and when I do, I&#39;ll have plenty of time to fly my birds- ....probably be dragging myself around the high desert in one of those walkers with fluorescent tennis balls, but I&#39;ll be out there. I wonder if you can weld a perch on those things.

I have been working mainly with Red tails. I trap them in October, hunt them from November to February and release them before the molt. I will be getting a female Harris Hawk next month. I&#39;m always looking for new places to hunt cottontails, jacks and quail- now with the high gas prices, the closer to home (Sylmar,CA) the better. So let me know if you come across any.

I&#39;m also interested in meeting other falconers, especially those who have Harris Hawks. I would like to socialize my new bird and get her used to hunting in a cast. When I get her, I&#39;d like to share some pictures with my fellow forumites. Cetrero

birdhunter23
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
cetrero i stay in SFV i will be trapping a Passage red tail this season im looking for a few places to hunt if i find some ill let you know! im still looking for a sponsor but i have a few harris hawk and falcon breeders helping me find one!

slanttop357
04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Boy the stories i could tell of my days with my red tail, good luck.

birdhunter23
04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
lol slanttop tell me i want to hear what im In for!????

slanttop357
04-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh your in for it allright lol no its not that bad if you do your home work and be prepared to give up a lot and i do mean a lot of your spare time. Try and find some good reeding from the old english falconer books, i bought a couple from my local book store there are a little hard to read but are packed with a lot of very good info, and the library should have the old books also. Me and my best friend caught our birds out of the nest when we were 17 it was just something we wanted to do after all our adventures in the Chino hills. I had the female and Joe had the male it seemed all my bird wanted was its freedom. Billed the best mew money can buy dont skimp on anything. any way good luck with the trapping what method r u going to ploy for trapping ?

birdhunter23
04-02-2011, 05:47 PM
you picked eyas red tails ? i heard there really tough to train!i also go hawk spotting in chino hills area corona too .i will be using a Bal chatri trap i think. but i will be going trapping with a the pres of game hawkers associations i dont know what method he will be using he is also looking for a sponsor for me since i dont have one! my mews will be good at the end of this month i have a friend that build houses going to help me with it.

slanttop357
04-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes we went 70' up and picked them, i know thats a no no even back in the 70 but we did not give it much thought, your friend that builds homes that will be very good. Good luck on the trapping :)

birdhunter23
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks slanttop soon as i get my mews done ill post some pics up!

slanttop357
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Are you going to have three sides of the mews exposed the back side of mine was faceing west that way no direct sun gets in, on the sides my friend hinged 1/2" ply wood sheets, keeps the rain out and i would close them at night just a thought. good luck post pics that will be cool.

birdhunter23
04-04-2011, 06:41 PM
actually i found a design online for a good portable one! : http://www.squidoo.com/building-a-mews

check it out let me know what you think! what birds are you flying now?

slanttop357
04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow thats a nice one, don,t have any bird i had my Red tail for 2 years i could not pass the test and F&G said i would haft to give it up to a local falconer that was not going to happen so i let her go, that was very painful, you need a lot of time to do a good job and do right for the bird.

birdhunter23
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
oh really man you should have passed your test you would have been a general class falconer maybe could have been my sponsor lol you know any good rabbit fields around 909 ?